Saturday, November 16, 2013

THE BEST OF THE SOUTHWEST

Weekend Edition

My travels through the southwest have sent me to a lot of cool places since 2010, although I wouldn't consider Coastal California a part of the southwest (my husband Nick does, but I imagine San Diego is too burnt-out surfer to hang with cowboys and Indians). Eastern California, however, definitely qualifies.



#1: TEXAS
Barbeque, tacos, rolling green hills, cold rivers, huge oak trees, and lots of sunny people. Also, the No. 1 Volleyball program in the Nation (Hook 'Em).
Austin, TX


#2: NEW MEXICO
If New Mexico was the answer to a personality test it would mean "loner" and "prickly." Its soundtrack is IMPOSSIBLE SOUL by Sufjan Stevens. It is my favorite place to be.
Shiprock, Navajo Nation


#3: ARIZONA
I have a love-hate relationship with this state. It has redeeming qualities, like Flagstaff and Tucson, but it's too difficult to see past the brutal nine months of summer because I can't really enjoy the winter reprieve because I dread: "Oh God it's only three months of this till it heats up again," and when it's actually summer all I can think of is how I need to get away from the heat, but that takes a lot of energy and it's so freaking hot so then I break down like an overheated iPhone: completely useless.
Phoenix, AZ




#4: CALIFORNIA 
 An Arizonan's way to escape (seriously).
San Diego, CA + San Francisco, CA


No comments:

Post a Comment